Do you want to increase your brand visibility, become known as an expert in your field and build authority for your content? If the answer is yes, yes and yes then guesting is something you should consider.
Being seen on influencer stages, podcasts, vlogs and blogs can really help you get exposure for your business, but actually guesting in practice can be a bit of a minefield. Here are some do’s and don’ts of guesting to help you get started.
- Have a guesting plan. Every appearance you make needs to support the growth of your business.
- Your research – be clear on who you’re targeting, your key messages and the value you can add to the readers / listeners / viewers.
- Be yourself – share your personality, teachings and information in your own way so the audiences get to connect with you and your brand.
- Try and establish a relationship with influencers before making your approach.
- Reach out via email.
- Be prepared for some negative comments online. If you put yourself out there sometimes the response isn’t always positive.
- Share a guest bio with hosts / publishers with links on how to connect with you online.
- Make your content relevant to the audience of the blog, vlog, podcast or stage you’re appearing on.
- Add a page to your website with links to all of your guest appearances.
- Promote your guest posts and appearances.
- Waste anyone’s time, including your own!
- Ignore comments made on your guest appearances online – respond to them all.
- Expect immediate results from your guest appearances. This can take months.
- Think you’ll instantly get a yes from every person you send a pitch to.
- Submit the same guest post to multiple bloggers, use the same talk on multiple stages in front of similar (or the same) audiences or repeat the exact same content on every podcast and vlog you appear on – it gets boring!
- Stick to only pitching to those you know – try new people and audiences.
So there you have it. Some golden rules to abide by when pitching for your next guest appearance.
Do you want to learn how to build influence and become to go-to expert in your industry? Check out my membership site Headliners: The PR & Digital Marketing Academy to learn more.
I would love to meet you on Instagram. Follow Kathryn | KD Communications to see my updates and feel free to share this post on LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter.
You may also be interested in reading:
- 8 easy steps to become a successful blogger
- 7 ways to perfectly pitch your guest post
- 5 things you can do to humanise your brand